Painting test for skeletons & Basing test for Goblins

Just a couple of quick tests I've done during the last week, whilst working on building the skeletons.

I've never quite got the hang of painting undead models, which is one of the reasons I've left it until now to give it a serious attempt. I always thought that they either look too stark when painted up to whites and far too yellow when painted up to the bone colour and I've never found a way that I liked enough. I tend to keep them quite brown when using them for basing, to not risk ruin the basing, but they just don't stand out enough when painted like this, not for the full model.

But I think I've found a way that is really easy and avoids both the too yellow or too white problem. I kept the bone up to Vallejos Iraqi sand (or 'Iraqui sand', according to the bottle) and gave it the lightest ever drybrush of citadels pallid wych flesh (which is one of the few colours citadel do that is unmatched by other brands! I'm trying to move away from relying on their colours, due to their insistence of removing paint lines on a whim & with out notice, but this colour is superb!) This brings just enough details up to white, with out becoming a stark white or becoming too dusty looking. Some of the drybrushing shows up in photos, but it's not noticeable at all two foot away on the table.

Most of the painting is done with washes and is pretty quick to knock them out. I've never been very good at batch painting, but now I have a test model done, I should be able to attempt to paint this unit in batches, as it's easy enough to do very quickly.

 

The shield came out still a little too clean and bright for my liking. I think next time I will try a black wash first, to darken the metal a lot more. Otherwise it was just a bunch of brown wash, all over and then glazed towards the bottom, instead of try to highlight the upper section of shield.
The spear is not as dark in flesh (or bones, rather!) but I will probably add some more metallics to it later on, as it's quite a small area of model, but I went heavy with a number of washes, trying out rust/dirt effects.

I also painted two quick goblins, mostly to test out some new tufts and some new red paints. I didn't bother giving them a full paint job, other than doing the skin and some basic work on the spears. I did use one of the shields  as a space to practice some free hand checks, as freehand and me don't mix well. And while I have improved on painting checks on 3d objects, flat space freehand still kills me ever time. So any excuse to give it another go, especially when it's not going to wreck a decent model!









Comments