Warriors of Middenheim!

I've not painted in months now. Had my final term/year for uni so was swamped and was mucked about badly by the company I was working for, even though my contract with them was up. Along with having been stuck at home for pretty much the whole of the last 14 months, I finally had the last couple of weeks off and just couldn't get back into it. So rather sit and paint nothing I at least slowly started getting into building a whole bunch of stuff. I brought an awful lot of recent undead kits for AoS and was very pleasantly surprised that all the ones I brought fit the old basing sizes without any effort. I love the new dire wolves, I've seen a few people say they are a bit cartoony but putting them together was fun and they are really nice models, very few mould lines, as are the new fell bats (You can just squeeze them on a 40mm base but I'll probably put them on 50mms as they are large).

I also brought Belladamma Volga, which at €40 (I did get her at a slight discount) isn't cheap for one hero but she is able to be broken down in to individual models nicely. She just fits on a 25x50mm base at a push, though I'll probably base her on a 50mm and have her count as two bases of dire wolves for my undead. Her 2nd wolf is the same size as the dire wolves and they there is the large tree & rock left over from the kit to make some nice scatter terrain. So expensive, but I'm getting my moneys worth from it!

As I've been in to much of a funk to paint, I didn't want to touch my Albions or my Averland projects, both are passion projects and I didn't want to risk messing something up and being more put off working on them. So tide me over and get me back into painting I thought about putting together a small force of Middenheim troops and hunters. I picked up the WFRP Middenheim book and was really enjoying it so thought it would be a nice mini project to ease back into it. I'd managed to pick up a box of Knights of the White wolf for €10 from a car boot sale a while back and so need to hook them out.

I've put together a unit of skirmish forest hunters (From the Cult of Ulric list I think from back in 6th Ed annuals) mostly from oathmark & frostgrave kits, though I was a couple of arms short and will have to raid the bits box for some later on. I'm thinking of chancing 25mm for most of my new models going forward. They give you more base to mess about with, easier to rank up and between working from home and covid, its not like we are getting in many games now anyway, so chances are many of these armies are years off from seeing use on the tabletop sadly.


I've also had to put a miniatures buying block on myself for now! I had to tidy up a bit, I start my new job tomorrow and I'd been using my small office corner to dump orders that had come in over the past few months- I've been buying up tons up of stuff but being so busy with work/uni I'd not noticed just how much had been coming in! Need to get it all painted so I can get it stored away nicely! 

Comments